Tuesday, 19 July 2016

Another blog?!

I originally set up this blog (over a year ago) thinking I would use it to explore my relationship with food, and with my body. The name is from "eating disorder not otherwise specified" (EDNOS) - that is, disordered eating which does not neatly fit the criteria for anorexia, bullimia, or binge eating disorder*. At the time of writing, I am looking back over almost two decades of bingeing and purging, bingeing and not purging, and periodic starving. I am currently at my fattest ever. And that's not ok.

The silent partner in this relationship is my mother. My anorexic mother, who killed herself earlier this year. For a long time, I have known that there is work I must do on this messy jumble of bodies, food, and mental health**. On being the fat daughter of an anorexic mother. But now it's work that I must do alone. I'm seeing a clinical psychologist, for an assessment, in a few weeks. We shall see.

So, I may write about that here. But I also may write about various other topics Not Otherwise Specified. I'm thinking a lot about the nature of love, at the moment. Being single for the first time since I was 16 gives one a new perspective! And I think I might find it useful to dump bits from Facebook on here, so that I can find them in the future. Or maybe I'll post this, and then never anything again. 

I am hugely doubtful that this will ever be read by anyone but myself, but should you exist, reader, please do say hello!









*Also, as I blog about sexual violence - and now, additionally, about grief  - I thought it could be on matters "not otherwise specified".

**I once told a therapist that I felt there was so much tied up in the relationship between myself, my body, and my mother. And the therapist rolled her eyes. And we never spoke about that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment